Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Jaisalmer Diary - Day One

When I got transferred to Jodhpur, I had made up my mind that I will be visiting Jaisalmer sooner or later. In 2000-2001 my dad was posted in Jaisalmer when I visited this place for the first time. I remember that day when my exams were over and I had my reservation for Jodhpur in Howrah-Jodhpur express departing from Dhanbad at around midnight.

Time has changed a lot since then. I was then in class XI and now I am in Job class. I was thinking to write this blog since I returned back from Jaisalmer and after talking to a close friend of mine recently I finally thought I must articulate this much cherished memory.

It was a Friday night (18.03.2011) when I boarded the train from Jodhpur at 11PM. Next 3 days were off for me and I had made my mind to make these 3 days the most memorable days of my life. I slept on my birth like any other passenger on the train.

Its Saturday 5 AM in the morning and some gentleman knock me and says-"Bhai Sahab Jaisalmer aa gaya". My emotions started haunting me as I land to "The Golden City". I take deep breadth as my heart dances with joy and The Golden City opens her arms to hug me.

After having a cup of tea near railway station I move to a hotel nearby and after refreshment and a little rest there I headed towards the market for renting the bike. By the time I make a deal for bike rent its 11:30 AM.

Amar Sagar

So my journey begins with "Amar Sagar" a temple made in ancient architectural style. Before letting me in to the temple campus authorities asked me whether I wanted to take photographs inside or not. Actually its photography that inspires me to visit such places, I immediately said yes. They actually charge a nominal amount for photography inside the campus.


I had my Nokia 6303c as my camera companion along with my skills to use it. The Architecture on the yellow stones were just awesome. Some other pics of Amar Sagar are uploaded in my facebook profile which in my Album "Jaisalmer Diary"






Dinner at Local Village

After Amar Sagar I left for Lodurva which is famous for an Ancient Jain Temple. On the way to Loduvra a local gentleman waived his hand asking for lift. I hesitated hesitated initially but then stopped the bike. "People here are gentleman" - came an inner voice considering my previous experience of Jaisalmer. I offered him the lift. He was a local of Lodurva village. He insisted me to have dinner at his home. I hesitated but then decided to have the local dinner. I was given a special guest like treatment at the home of Mr. Chain Singh Rathore.

After having the Bazre ki Roti, a bowl of desi Ghee, Curry and a glass of Buttermilk I was fully energized for my journey ahead. It was great experience of travelling across the desert land and getting warm gestures from the local people. Once again my previous experience of Jaisalmer being place of gentleman was realized.

So after having the dinner I moved to the famous Jain temple at Loduvra which was another architectural beauty. The art of craving the yellow stones to perfection is really awesome in this part of India.
Jain Temple-Lodurva, Jaisalmer


By the time I left Loduvra it was 4:30 PM. So had to quickly reach Sam sand dunes well ahead of sunset.
On the way to Sam Sand dunes
I was curious to see the sunset at Sam about which I had heard that the view there is awesome. While Sam is around 40 Kms from Lodurva, I took the command of the accelerator to guide myself to Sam as quick as possible. So I reach Sam by 5 PM and quickly booked a Camel and started the much awaited Camel Safari ride.
After I riding for 2Kms I reached the place where we could see only sand all around. The guide asked me if I wanted to go camel racing in the Thar desert. Then we had race among 2-3 tourists like me. So we ride across the Thar and sun sets. The sky was little cloudy that day, so I could not see the sunset the way I wanted to but it was an awesome experience. As the sun sets we could see the moon rising at opposite side of the sky. One of the Safari rider told me that its unique beauty of Sam. After the ride there was arrangement of Rajasthani folk dance followed by dinner. But I skipped as I had to drive around 50 Kms and it was already 8:30 PM. So I left this serene place and headed towards Jaisalmer city.

After driving for a while I switched off the head lights of my bike as I realized that moon is sufficiently lit to show me the way to drive. I wondered whether I was dreaming or it was real to drive at full speed in moon light. Well it was real indeed to drive at speed of 60-70 Kmph in a moon light. The experience was mesmerizing and feelings can't be explained in words. 

I reached the city by 9:30 and there were Holika Dahan clelbration all around. Just participated in the celebration and went to my hotel room and off for the day.

1 comment: